The wine village of Sedlec is situated in the southeast corner of the Pálava PLA on the bank of the Nesyt pond about 7 km southeast of Mikulov.
The first written mention of the village dates from 1322, when it already belonged to the Mikulov estate. It remained there until 1848. At the beginning of the 30-year war, Hungarian rebels raged there, who destroyed the original church. Sedlec has an old spa tradition. Already in the records of 1362 a spa had been mentioned, which had used the healing spring of St. Vitus with the content of sulphur; the spa was still used after World War II. The remnant of the spa is now much damaged, and due to the small yield of the spring the spa has never been restored.
Of the local sights, worth seeing is the church of St. Vitus built in 1672 on the site of the Gothic church of St. Ulrich destroyed at the beginning of the thirty-year war. The church was later modified in the Baroque style. Other interesting sights include the former granary of the country estate, already mentioned sulphur spa and the remains of a relaxation mansion beyond Sedlec in the direction of Mikulov near the former Portz pond. Attention should be paid also to smaller sights, such as the statue of the Virgin Mary near the church and two statues of St. John of Nepomuk.
The location of Sedlec protected from the north by the massif of the Pavlovské kopce Hills was convenient for growing quality vine, so already before the thirty-year war the vineyards took up nearly one quarter of the liege soil. Even today Sedlec is one of the major wine centres of the Mikulov wine region; it has one of the best wines from Moravian production.
From the natural point of view the Sedlec cadastre is very varied and a number of remarkable locations can be found there. Its northern part is touched by the Milovický les forest, the mosaic of thermophilous oak woods and Pannonic oak-hornbeam. Interesting are also the islands of steppe vegetation in the southern part of the cadastre, such as the nature reserves Liščí vrch, Studánkový vrch, Paví vrch and the ridge Skalka (Holá pastviska). The stream Včelínek runs through the middle of the cadastre; beyond the village it flows to the largest Moravian pond Nesyt. In the reeds that surround it, many nests of rare waterfowl can be found, and for that reason it is part of the Lednické rybníky national nature reserve. On the west bank of Nesyt the national nature reserve Slanisko u Nesytu can be found, which is one of the last examples of South Moravian salt marsh habitats.