Břeclav History and Sights

The history of Slavic settlements of the Břeclav area goes back until the 6th century. At the end of the eighth century, southeast of present town, an extensive settlement with sophisticated handicrafts was established: the Great Moravia fortified settlement named Pohansko u Břeclavi. After the demise of Great Moravia, Přemyslids gained this territory and the new fort, which had the task to protect the entrance to the country; it was named after Prince Břetislav. The fort was built at the site of today’s Břeclav chateau. This lordly castle founded probably some time after 1041 became the centre of castle administration; after some time it was rebuilt into a massive Romanesque fortress with a tower the masonry thickness of which was almost 5 metres.

After the Hussite wars the inhabitants who had fled from plundered Stará (Old) Břeclav settled close to the castle and established a small town, which is called Nová (New) Břeclav in written records. The town and the castle were then gained by the Žerotín family, who rebuilt the castle into a renaissance residence, which still, however, had a military function of a border castle.

In 1654 the Břeclav estate was bought by the Liechtenstein family, the owners of the neighbouring Valtice and Lednice estate, who attached it to their Moravian estates. Since it served only to princely officials as a centre of economic governance, the castle gradually lost its splendour.

In 1872 Břeclav was promoted to a town. The reason for the residents requesting this promotion was an unprecedented boom of Břeclav, which occurred after the arrival of the first train from Vienna on 6 June 1839. In a short time Břeclav became the first railway junction in the Austrian Monarchy. At the turn of the fifties and sixties of the last century industry started to develop in Břeclav.
From local monuments, worth seeing is the newly-built parish church of St. Wenceslas, the monumental church of the Visitation in the local area Poštorná, the chapel of Virgin Mary and three wayside shrines in Charvátská Nová Ves, the chapel of St. Martin in Stará Břeclav and the wayside shrine beyond Stará Břeclav, which is undoubtedly the best known wayside shrine in the country. Břeclav also has a long Jewish history and numerous monuments of this period, such as the synagogue, which now serves as a municipal museum and gallery. And we should not forget the Břeclav chateau which is currently awaiting repair.

 

Břeclav – kostel sv. Václava (798x511, 119.98 KB)
Břeclavský zámek (797x427, 121.61 KB)
Břeclav – synagoga (623x600, 46.61 KB)
Břeclav – budova gymnázia (799x430, 145.31 KB)
Břeclav-Poštorná – kostel Navštívení Panny Marie (405x600, 50.21 KB)
Informace o projektu: „Cielené školenia, kurzy a tvorba spoločných marketingových produktov - podpora rastu cestovného ruchu v cezhraničných regiónech“
Freepoint - internet za 250 Kč (bez DPH) měsíčně
jantarová stezka
Projekt je spolufinancován z prostředků Evropské Unie
This project is co-financed by the European Union
Ministerstvem pro místní rozvoj a Zlínským krajem