The Wallachian Open-Air Museum in Rožnov pod Radhoštěm, The National Historical Landmark

významnost: 5
The Wallachian Open-Air Museum, nicknamed the Open-Air Museum in Rožnov, offers an extensive collection of folk structures and also a number of interesting events, demonstration of crafts and traditions.

Opening hours during the season

fromto
Po9:0018:00
Út9:0018:00
St9:0018:00
Čt9:0018:00
9:0018:00
So9:0018:00
No9:0018:00

Specification

1.7. - 31.8., areál Dřevěného městečka otevřen do 19:00

Comment to opening hours

Leden - duben, říjen, prosinec: V PONDĚLÍ ZAVÍRACÍ DEN!, podbrobné informace k otevírací době mimo sezónu na www.vmp.cz

Type of historic sight of cultural facility

Skanzen

Accessibility by physically handicapped people

Vstup do objektu bez schodů nebo rampou Výtahy o dostatečném půdorysu Přístupnost všech oddělení – dveře 80 cm Úprava WC – madla a prostor pro vozík Úprava určených pokladen Místa pro parkování vozidel invalidů

Address

Valašské muzeum v přírodě
Palackého 147
756 61 Rožnov pod Radhoštěm

Contact

phone number: +420 571 757 111
e-mail: muzeum@vmp.cz

Language skills of the personnel

anglický, český, německý

Languages – printed guide

anglický, český, německý, polský

Legend in exposition

anglický, český, polský

Languages – conducted tour

anglický, český, německý, ruský

Style

lidová architektura

Exposition / sight-seeing route

System Message: WARNING/2 (<string>, line 1)

Title overline too short.

======================
Exposition / sight-seeing route
======================

THE LITTLE WOODEN TOWN

The Little Wooden Town is the oldest section of the Wallachian Open-Air Museum. Houses from Rožnov Square have been gradually brought here and rebuilt since 1925, when it was first open to the public. Later, a copy of the Větřkovice Church and Bailiff’s House from Velké Karlovice were completed to them. Another building, built in 1974, is the reconstruction of Žingor´s House from Rožnov Square. The agricultural constructions, the belfry, and the wells are a complement to residential constructions. There is also the Distillery from Lačnov and the reconstructed Skittle Alley. Folk celebrations take place in the area of the Little Wooden Town during the year, reminding of rites and traditions of local inhabitants. Programmes with demonstration of old ways of housework and crafts are carried out regularly. The Rožnov Celebrations and Fairs are among the much-frequented events. Regular folklore programmes are introduced at weekends. The guided tour takes 45 minutes. Possibility of individual tours.

THE MILL VALLEY

The Mill Valley (Mlýnská dolina ) is the youngest part of the Wallachian Open-Air Museum. It was open in 1982. The washboard, the mill, and the sawmill are copies of buildings from Velké Karlovice. The oil-press is an original construction from the 18th century. The iron-mill is a reconstruction of the premises from Ostravice. All the mechanisms, with the exception of the oil-press, are driven by water power. The premises of the Depot from Ostravice house the display “Means of Transport in Moravian Wallachia“. With its orientation, the display presents different forms of means of transport, which were used in agriculture, forestry, business activity, passenger transportation, and within the framework of other trades and crafts. The operation is started with a ceremonial programme with demonstration of crafts, smith meetings take place here in June, Fishing Day in August. The guided tour takes 60 minutes.

THE WALLACHIAN VILLAGE

The Wallachian Village is the largest part of the Wallachian Open-Air Museum. Farmsteads, alpine farming facilities, the mill and the smithy are situated in the scenery which suggests numerous villages on the hillsides of the Beskydy Mountains owing to its relief division. The first buildings were built in 1962, the premises were made accessible in 1972. The interiors of the residential houses capture the way of living in different social strata since the middle of the 19th century. In the course of the year there are programmes bringing back to life old ways of farming. Small fields, gardens, and fruit trees remember growing of old crops. While touring the grounds, there are aunties explaining things in the buildings. It is possible to meet a number of domestic animals and a flock of sheep as well while walking around the Wallachian Village.

The Wallachian Open-Air Museum is located at 147 Palacká Street in Rožnov pod Radhoštěm, about 600 m east of the town centre.

The idea of an open-air museum comes from the Jaroněk brothers, who came to Rožnov in 1909. They were captivated by a group of folk constructions from Moravian Wallachia designed by architect Dušan Jurkovič with The Last Groschen Pub at the Czech-Slavic Etnographic Exhibition in Prague in 1895. After their arrival in Rožnov, an idea of an open-air museum developed in them, inspired by an effort to maintain burgher’s houses from Rožnov Square. Everything was coordinated by Aloise Jaroněk´s trip to Scandinavian countries, where he visited the open-air museum in Aarhus in Denmark, which was just being created and he saw the first and the oldest open-air museum in the world as well, i.e. the Open-Air Museum in Stockholm. The Museum Association was established in Rožnov in 1911 and in 1913 the first project of the museum was submitted. The construction of the Wallachian Open-Air Museum, however, started only within the framework of preparations of the first Wallachian Folklore Festival in 1925. The oldest part of the Wallachian Open-Air Museum is the Little Wooden Town. Houses from Rožnov Square were gradually brought here and rebuilt since 1925, when it was first open to the public. Later, a copy of the Větřkovice Church and Bailiff’s House from Velké Karlovice were completed to them. Another building, built in 1974, is the reconstruction of Žingor´s House from Rožnov Square. The agricultural constructions, the belfry, and the wells are a complement to residential constructions. There is also the Distillery from Lačnov and the newly reconstructed Skittle Alley. Folk celebrations take place in the area of the Little Wooden Town during the year, reminding of rites and traditions of local inhabitants. The Wallachian Village is the largest part of the museum. Farmsteads, alpine farming facilities, the mill and the smithy are situated in the scenery which suggests numerous villages on the hillsides of the Beskydy Mountains owing to its relief division. The first buildings were built in 1962, the premises were made accessible in 1972. The interiors of the residential houses capture the way of living in different social strata since the middle of the 19th century. The Mill Valley, opened in 1982, is the youngest part of the Wallachian Open-Air Museum. The washboard, the mill, and the sawmill are copies of buildings from Velké Karlovice. The oil-press is an original construction from the 18th century. The iron-mill is a reconstruction of the premises from Ostravice. All the mechanisms, with the exception of the oil-press, are driven by water power. The premises of the Depot from Ostravice house the display “Means of Transport in Moravian Wallachia“. With its orientation, the display presents different forms of means of transport, which were used in agriculture, forestry, business activity, passenger transportation, and within the framework of other trades and crafts.

The nearest destinations around

Events

Informace o projektu: „Cielené školenia, kurzy a tvorba spoločných marketingových produktov - podpora rastu cestovného ruchu v cezhraničných regiónech“
Freepoint - internet za 250 Kč (bez DPH) měsíčně
jantarová stezka
Projekt je spolufinancován z prostředků Evropské Unie
This project is co-financed by the European Union
Ministerstvem pro místní rozvoj a Zlínským krajem